Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My six dollar Keds



“Your feet must be killing you!?” exclaimed this middle aged man wearing a sturdy pair of tan hiking boots laced up to the ankle to a young lady whose shoes can’t be described as anything but torturous. “…aren’t those shoes uncomfortable?”

It always surprises me, tourists’ choice of shoes when traveling. I personally think a light pair of tennis shoes is ideal. They are easy to pack, generally moldable, not heavy on your feet and most of all comfortable to wear and to walk in. My favorite pair of travel shoes is a six dollar, Ross store deal, pair of worn-in, blue and green plaid Keds. I have had them for almost two years now, and even though they are getting thin they have seen almost more traveling then I have.

They have hiked from Eugene’s puddle filled Willamette Street all the way to the top of muddy Spencer’s butte to the surrounding foothills of Zurich, Switzerland to see the painted white peaks of the Alps to the miles of polished marble floors of the Louvre in Paris and also up thousands of dusty steps and sidewalk escalators of the Barcelona hills to Guell's Park. They have never once given me a blister and while they may not be the most stylish shoes I have ever seen, they are a close friend of mine.

While not everyone may be as attached to their good pair of travel shoes, I think it is important for everyone to have that set of shoes. On my most recent travel with my beloved plaid Keds, we explored Barcelona, Spain, where I have to say I saw some of the most ridiculous travel shoes yet.

Leaving the metro station at the Vallcarca stop from the L3 green line, my Keds carried me up the last set of stairs to the sun heated streets outside of Guell's Park in Barcelona. The streets were trash strone with blacken bubble gum and dust settled permanently on the sidewalks. The metro stop let out according to the map only 800 meters away from the park where Antoni Gaudi built some of his most famous mosaic architectural pieces, including the lizard fountain; however, that map failed to mention that 600 meters were straight up hill.



Turning that first corner off the main street, the hill rose straight up at almost a 45 degree angle. I looked down at my already swollen feet from the day’s earlier wondering and was glad to see my Keds. Then I looked up at the hill and started my trek to the top.

The sidewalks on either side of the road to Guell’s Park were lined with inch thick ridges that helped your feet grip the ground, yet I could only image how dangerous it would be to walk down that hill in the rain. Also in the humid sun, the asphalted let out a warm haze that seeped through the soles of your shoes. Along the way for the weary walker there were stores with water and ice cream to catch your breath or browse the souvenirs.

For the hike, my Keds served me well. However the toes of the tourists in ballet flats, Nike flip-flops, knee high leather boats, various strapy sandals, and my personal favorite purple rhinestone wedges didn’t seem to share in my excitement to see Gaudi’s art.



Luckily for those who forgot their comfortable shoes and opted for the stylish choice, half way up the hill, the ridged sidewalks and calf burning slant of the hill gave way to platform upon platform of electric powered escalators!

No comments: